3/03/2007

09: Lonelle

Lonelle Leath reclined in her levichair, gazing out to the bright blue ocean through the thick foliage. Palm leaves shaded her from the harsh sun, and the humid air did naught but comfort her. This was her home.
But she was, no longer, living with her family.
The sliding door hummed open behind her. Wrenching her gaze from the beautiful vista her balcony offered, Lonelle found herself staring into the composed face of Rius Galderstyne, another Babuja-born human like herself. He had arranged about himself the dress of a Gammana employee: completely deep purple, topped with the standard issue white boots and matching protective gloves.
‘Ambassador Galderstyne.’ Lonelle stated, trying to sound as formal and detached from him as possible.
‘Please,’ he requested, ‘call me Rius. I hardly consider you below me, Lonelle.’
‘That’s Ms Leath, Mr Galderstyne.’ She snapped.
‘Lonelle, please.’ Rius laughed, moving his way onto the balcony, and breathing deeply in the humid air that was Babuja Norla. Bending down into the other levichair that occupied the small space, the new president of Gammana Industries smiled at the young brown haired woman.
She is stunning! Rius told himself. But that wasn’t why he wanted to win her over.
‘Really, Lonelle. What have you got against me? I’m a humble businessman. If not me, who would you have take Gammana?’
‘I don’t like you, Galderstyne. I deserve this place more!’
Rius drew a breath, and spoke carefully. ‘You deserve this place more than anybody. But you didn’t want it! Do you want to leave, do you?’
Biting his lower lip, Rius anticipated the woman’s response. A slight hint of Burkle floated about his nostrils.
‘Maybe I do.’ Lonelle finally stated. ‘Maybe I do.’
‘But, Lonelle. First you must tell us the password to the control room. You must. I own Gammana now.
‘The door is open. It has no lock. Even a slug can get in!’
‘You know what I mean, Lonelle.’ Rius said. ‘The system password. I cannot activate the equipment without it. How are we to manufacture anything without use of the control room?’
‘I dunno.’ Lonelle sneered. ‘Work it out for yourself. Hasaluf did.’
‘Hasaluf was a genius, Lonelle.’
‘And you’re not?’ she mocked in response.
‘I am an ambassador.’ He stated, keeping his rage withdrawn.
‘Then why have you taken over Hasaluf Gammis-Manasan’s company?’
Rius tightened his lips together, pondered for a moment. She had proved a valuable point! If Rius was going to pour his efforts into Gammana, he needed a solid reason to do so. A reason that the population would understand.
‘But even Hasaluf didn’t know fully.’ Rius added, being mindful of how his words may affect Lonelle.
‘What are you saying, Galderstyne? Do you doubt my uncle?’
‘No! Heavens no! But I heard a rumour.’
Lonelle crossed her arms and pierced Rius with her stare. She knew the rumour, and she notably decided not believe it.
‘I heard that his technology came from Retalica, Lonelle.’
‘Really?’ Lonelle questioned, her voice thick with sarcasm. ‘On what grounds do you say this? Have you been to Retalica? No. Nobody has. And have you seen their teleporters? I’m sure they’re nothing like ours! Hasaluf was a genius. He created his own technology, on his own!’
‘Fine!’ Rius snapped. ‘But that’s not the point! He didn’t work out the password. How on Myria would he do that? Yes, he was a genius, but no matter how smart you think he was, he didn’t work out the password. He made it up himself! It doesn’t matter that I’m an ambassador and not a scientist; the password would come to me no easier. And trust me, if it was a matter of working it out for myself, I would have done so already.’

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow, the words you use, always seem to bring the reader in and get lost in the words you use...i love reading books and creating a whole world in ur head that is completely different from what the writer sees it..i love the girl lonelle, she has this way about her, that she has to prove to everyone she is strong, and the guy, its like he wants to prove himself to her, to outwit her in some way.
good writing jono,

some girl said...

Never fear! Internet is... here! i.e. working.

Lonelle, good name choice!
I read the heading and knew it was a girl's name.

Dun dun dun! So... rumour... is it true? Is it false? Is it neither? Is it an enigma, wrapped in a bubble? We shall wait and find out...